Thursday, December 15, 2011

Worry Action Step #1 – Begin Each Day with Time Alone with God

God’s Word, has so much information on life, with lots of examples of both how to, and how not to, live it. Every word has purpose. Reading and studying helps me to focus on what is important. The people in the Bible lived lives full of choices, difficulties, joys and sorrows just as we face today. By recording their journey, God has given me a way to view my own journey through His eyes instead of through the narrow perspective of my own eyes. I need to spend time in prayer, but that’s Action Step #2… Action Step #1 has me in a quiet place reading and hearing from Him.

Grab a cup of coffee and a Bible, then find a quiet corner to hear from God. Here are a few passages (NIV) that have stood out to me in the last couple of days as I’ve read headlines and been tempted to be wrapped up in worry, fear, anger and defensiveness :

Luke 12: 25-26 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?

Psalm 3:1-3 LORD, how many are my foes! How many rise up against me! 2 Many are saying of me, “God will not deliver him.” 3 But you, LORD, are a shield around me, my glory, the One who lifts my head high.

Psalm 6:6-10 6 I am worn out from my groaning. All night long I flood my bed with weeping and drench my couch with tears. 7 My eyes grow weak with sorrow; they fail because of all my foes. 8 Away from me, all you who do evil, for the LORD has heard my weeping. 9 The LORD has heard my cry for mercy; the LORD accepts my prayer. 10 All my enemies will be overwhelmed with shame and anguish; they will turn back and suddenly be put to shame.

Isaiah 12:2  Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The LORD, the LORD himself, is my strength and my defense he has become my salvation.”  

1 Peter 2:23 When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly.

Hebrews 13: 5-8 …be content with what you have, because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.” 6 So we say with confidence, “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?” 7 Remember your leaders, who spoke the word of God to you. Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith. 8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.
(emphasis is mine)


1 John 3:1 See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him.

1 John 4:4 You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.

By starting off the day in this way, I place God at the top of my list and focus my thoughts on His plan for my day/future, rather than allowing my own thoughts and worries to take me captive. He helps me gain perspective. What words are speaking to your heart today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I value your opinion, positive or negative; however, in order to keep the dialog clean and respectful, I have activated comment moderation. Your comment will be posted pending review by our moderator for offensive language or hate speak. Thank you and God bless!